Pacific Resort’s Ika Mata Recipe
Ika Mata is a Polynesian delicacy and is a popular fish dish of most South Pacific Nations in one form or another. It is acknowledged by many local Chefs that this dish is not authentic unless it is made with only the flesh from freshly caught Yellow Fin Tuna.
We are delighted to share a recipe from our kitchens with you.
The freshest ingredients from our island home are prepared using both traditional and western methods in a truly unique way, by marinating fish cubes in fresh lemon juice.
Ingredients - Serve 10 850gm Yellow Fin Tuna fillet skin and bone removed. 185ml fresh lemon juice 80gm tomatoes, diced 70 gm capsicum, halved, deseeded, diced 50gm capsicum, halved, deseeded, diced 5 gm spring onion 5 gm coriander 70 gm onion diced 120ml coconut cream 2gm red chilli finely chopped 6gm salt 7gm pepper
- Cut the Tuna into 1cm pieces
- Place the Tuna and lemon juice in large ceramic or glass bowl, and toss to combine, cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for an hour to marinate tossing occasionally with a wooden spoon
- Add tomatoes, capsicum, onion, coconut cream and chilli to marinated fish, stir gently to combine add in coriander and spring onion
- Taste and season with salt and pepper
- Serve in ½ a coconut shell with fresh slice lemons.
Enjoy this delicacy of the South Pacific with friends and family.